Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Interview: Joey Stuckey


Hey Joey! Thank you for chatting with us today! We have tried to keep up with you on IG but you have been a busy man! What has been your favorite place you have performed in 2020 so far?

Thanks for having me! I can’t just pick one LOL. I would have to say that we had such a blast performing at the world famous Whisky A Go Go to a packed crowd on January 3rd of 2020. I also had such a wonderful time performing solo guitar and vocals at the LA Braille institute and meeting so many amazing blind folks!

We saw that you had mentioned that you are expanding your recording studio – super exciting! Any new music plans coming from your amazing new space?

Oh yes, I have a lot of things in the works and we are going to be doing some amazing master classes and recording sessions as part of our grand opening so stay tuned for details. You can follow our progress starting in march on www.shadowsoundstudio.com

We love that you are not only an amazing musician but also share your talents with many others! You teach a class at Mercer University right? Can you share with us how that came to be?

I am a Mercer Alumni and feel very honored to teach for my alma mater since 2010. It is important to me to provide a wonderful experience like the one I had when I was a student! I am professor of music technology for Mercer University and also for Middle Georgia State University in addition to being an official mentor for the RRF school. My work in the community to educate and strengthen our musical infrastructure in Macon, along with me being the official music ambassador as appointed by the mayor and city council in 2006, added to the tools at my disposal to make sure that I could provide our town and students with a firm path for success in the music industry. 

What has been the biggest surprise so far about making music in your career? Have you had an unexpected or welcome challenge to it all?

I guess the biggest surprise is that, for some people, the music isn’t enough. It always has been for me. I don’t care about the “rock and roll” lifestyle, I just want to work hard and do good work and maybe change a life or two for the better.

 I reject the idea that being an artist is synonymous with being poor, while realizing that having a major hit like an Adele or Taylor Swift is very unlikely. Still, you can make good money and be successful if you work hard. I am amazed, though I shouldn’t be, that so many people have unreasonable expectations. They want the fame and what comes with it but don’t want to do the work. I care about the craft first and making sure I can provide for my family, after that it’s all gravy LOL. 

Can you share some advice for any artists that is wanting to break into performing and writing music? Maybe something you had wish you had known getting started.

Be obsessed with whatever you want to succeed with in life. Trust yourself but be willing to take advice from a few trusted allies and know that not everyone is going to like what you are doing or even understand it, but that doesn’t matter; if you like it, others will as well and while you might not sell out 80,000 seat arenas, you can do well and be true to who you are!

Anything else you would like to share?

Please visit www.joeystuckey.com and go to our fan zone. We have a lot of free music and ways for you to keep up with all in the Joeyverse!

Now where can we find you on social media and catch you live?





Booking:  bsquaredmgmt.com
Press:  Bsquaredmgmt@gmail.com

End of Interview

No comments:

Post a Comment